CHANGE OF DISPOSITION THROUGH REGENERATION
The Only Remedy For The Decadence of Our Time.! (Part 2a)
In the second part (Sections a & b) of this two part series we have a bit more in-depth look at what a change of disposition means. Change of disposition being the result of regeneration – the supernatural change in the very core of man’s being that occurs through the exclusive act of God by which a principle of new life is implanted in man, with the result that THE GOVERNING DISPOSITION OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE SOUL IS MADE HOLY.
- An Introduction
- Regeneration & Disposition – Definitions “Except A Man Be Born Again”
- Man’s Sinful Nature
- Quickening (Regeneration) ‘Awakening’ Leading To The Governing Disposition of The Functions of The Soul Being Made Holy And Then Repentance
- Sorrowful Turning From Sin
In Part 2 (a &b), we will look at:
- Result of A Changed Disposition
- Why it is impossible to be A Christian Without A Change of Disposition
- Assurance of Salvation
CHANGE OF DISPOSITION THROUGH REGENERATION – The Only Remedy For The Decadence of Our Time. (Part 2a)
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost. (Titus 3:5)
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. (John 3:3-8)
“I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.” (Ezek. 36:26–27)
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me. And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. (John 1:13-16).
The dictionary describes disposition as:
A person’s inherent qualities of mind and character.
“your sunny disposition has a way of rubbing off on those around you“
- The way in which something is placed or arranged, especially in relation to other things.
“the plan shows the disposition of the rooms“
Disposition is that which guilds, govern, control and directs all the faculties, powers and propensities. The change of the disposition is what occurs as a result of quickening – the direct and supernatural operation of the Holy Spirit to effect a newness of life in the heart of man, so that he is able to receive the things of God (e.g. Word, directions etc.). That newness of life being the ‘activation’ of the intuition and communion in the spirit of man.
Why Change of Disposition
At any point in time, a man can either be regenerate or unregenerate: But all men are born unregenerate: One can claim to be a Christian for a long time (even ‘from birth’) or even lived right inside a church for 100 years: If there is no change of disposition, it is all a waste of time and great deceit. Such one can only hope to turn up at ‘there’ just to be informed that he has been a spectator all along.
Just as it is what nature of internet flows into and from the wireless access port that GOVERNS what NATURE of internet service (3G, 4G, 5G) you get in all the devices: SO DOES THE DISPOSITION OF A MAN GOVERN THE NATURE OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE SOUL OF THAT MAN.
Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. (Romans 5:5b)
A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. (Matthew 12:35)
Regeneration being an act of God by which He subconsciously puts a holy principle, a seed of new spiritual life into our disposition and it is what determines what we are; how we behave and how we use our natural experiences, opinions, desires, stimuli, actions, temperament, abilities, faculties and powers etc.
The love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. (Romans 5:5b)
A man who is born again is a man who has gotten a new disposition. He has gotten a new principle of life operating in him and controlling him. He still retains all his natural powers. Regeneration does not (like widely believed) produce a standard type of Christian; who are more or less identical; everything about them is almost exactly the same. But this is not new-testament Christianity; whatever a man is by nature, as regards natural experiences, opinions, desires, stimuli, actions, temperament, abilities, faculties and powers etc. remain exactly as they were before. BUT what changes and becomes new is the thing that controls these natural experiences, opinions, desires, stimuli, actions, temperament, abilities, faculties and powers etc.
The Application of Redemption
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
The Holy Spirit applies the finished work of redemption of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ to us through regeneration, when there is a change of disposition. Functions such natural experiences, opinions, desires, stimuli, actions, temperament, abilities, faculties and powers etc now have a new disposition governing them; new “I” as in Galatians 2:20 where Apostle Paul says, “And the life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith.…” the life is now lived by the life which is Christ Himself. The life which is Christ Himself now governs our natural experiences, opinions, desires, stimuli, actions, temperament, abilities, faculties and powers etc.
But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. (1 John 1:7)
Apostle Paul’s Journey from persecutor of the Church to a “Servant of Jesus Christ”
Before Apostle Paul’s conversion; although the faculties of his soul were in an impeccable order, the disposition that governs them all was very much aimed at persecuting the Church and making him see our Lord Jesus Christ as an enemy.
And it came to pass, that, as I made my journey, and was come nigh unto Damascus about noon, suddenly there shone from heaven a great light round about me. And I fell unto the ground, and heard a voice saying unto me, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? And I answered, Who art thou, Lord? And he said unto me, I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest. And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me. And I said, What shall I do, Lord? And the Lord said unto me, Arise, and go into Damascus; and there it shall be told thee of all things which are appointed for thee to do. And when I could not see for the glory of that light, being led by the hand of them that were with me, I came into Damascus. (Acts 22:6-11)
These same faculties, now governed by a different disposition, one “born of God”; preaching the Gospel of the same person he once hated with a passion with all the same power, abilities and personality. THE CHANGE IS IN HIS DISPOSITION NOT ANY OF HIS FACULTIES
THE CHANGE SHOULD BE IN OUR DISPOSITION NOT IN OUR PERSONALITY
The change was in Apostle Paul’s disposition and not his personality These same faculties, now governed by a different disposition, one “born of God” (Jon 1:13); preaching the Gospel of the same person he once hated with a passion; with all the same power, abilities and personality. His faculties remain the same but are now propelled in the direct of God’s will.
What Paul had at Damascus was regeneration NOT a psychological change process. NOT what we have today (in a lot of cases) in our ‘church’ of the 21st century, where motivational and psychological birthing has produced so many Pentecostal clones, who have become victims of psychological movements and stripped of their identities. Told to ‘just follow and think later’
When we are regenerated, the peculiar gifts and traits that make us who we are always remain the same. More like when you re-install an application on your system and the files you have on your system remain the same, they do not get lost entirely nor change. We are not all meant to be identical or speak the way or dress and have the same mannerisms, preach the same way, pray the same way or ‘speak in tongues’ the same way etc.
Apostle Paul’s intellectual abilities, zeal (to persecute the Church); religious passion, all got translated to be used for good purposes when his disposition changed. His change in disposition and not personality made it possible to translate from being a Jewish zealot to an apostle to the gentiles
Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. (Philippians 2:12)
The more we see of Jesus, the more we realise that ‘our own righteousness is as filthy rags’. The closer we draw to Him the more we see our need for Him, because the closer we draw to Him the more we grasp His holiness and our sinfulness.
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesss are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. (Isaiah 64:6)
This is why Paul was able to go from being:
For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God (1 Corinthians 15:9 – written in 56 AD).
This grace was given to me — the least of all the saints — to proclaim to the Gentiles the incalculable riches of the Messiah (Ephesians 3:8 – written in early 60 or 61 AD).
This saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance: “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners” — and I am the worst of them. (1 Timothy 1:15 – written in 62-64 AD).
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
We will conclude the series with Why it is impossible to be A Christian Without A Change of Disposition
- Heavenly Father, we pray that You quicken us with Your presence like never before; that we may continually be empowered to actively seek that Holy Spirit inspired change of our disposition. (Titus 3:5)
- Heavenly Father, we pray that You quicken us with Your presence like never before; that we may continually be empowered to actively seek the purification our motives and conscience. (Hebrews 9:13, 14)
- Heavenly Father, we pray that You quicken us to rejoice evermore; Pray without ceasing and in every thing give thanks: for this is Your will in Christ Jesus concerning us. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
- Heavenly Father, we pray that You will circumcise our hearts, that we may be able to enter the covenant of being Your people, who are fully joined to You and fully submissive to You. (Deuteronomy 30:6)
- Lord, we bind the inner man of each and every one of us to a loving relationship with the Holy Spirit. Give us the grace to know that, ‘to seek you through knowledge about you without seeking a relationship with the Holy Spirit ends up in confusion and unbalance in our perception of You. (Matthew 18:18-20)
- Heavenly Father, we pray that You will work in us to replace our heart of stone that is cold and unyielding with a heart of flesh that is alive and responsive to You. (Ezekiel 11:19)
- Heavenly Father, we pray and bind each and everyone of us to the work of the cross of Calvary where the power, the authority, the love, the forgiveness, the mercy and the grace would flow into our lives. (Galatians 3:13-14)
- Heavenly Father, we pray that by Your Holy Spirit You teach us to accurately and righteously fear You. (Matthew 10:28)
- Lord we pray that as being indwelled by You is the great joy of salvation; You would grant us this honour; put Your Spirit within us O Lord and choose to take residence in us. (Ezekiel 36:27)
- Heavenly Father, we pray that You will Keep us in Your Word daily, that we may be daily saved, nourished, and enlivened by Your Word. (2 Timothy 2:15)
- Heavenly Father, we pray that You will give us the grace wisdom and power to recognise that the object and purpose of your instruction and charges to us is Love, which springs from a pure heart and a good and clear conscience and sincere, unfeigned faith. (Jeremiah 17:9)
- Heavenly Father, we pray that You may give us the grace to have a prayerful attitude as we come to Your Word, receiving the Word into us by means of all prayer, thanksgiving, petition, singing, and psalming. (Philippians 4:6-8)
- O Lord, we pray that as we are convicted of our own sins; the Holy Spirit of conviction and Holy Spirit inspired repentance will flow through us to others in our surroundings and beyond. ( Acts 2:37-38)
- O Lord, continually multiply Your glorious riches in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ unto us and fill us with the knowledge of Your will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; so that we may realize that, in us lies the power that was in Adam that is hidden and IS MEANT BY YOU TO BE PERMANENTLY HIDDEN AS LONG AS WE ARE IN OUR MORTAL BODIES. Continually give us the grace to resolve never to use it and to war in order to keep it until we see you. Most importantly, we pray that You continually bind this inordinate power of our soul and express Your Life through us O LORD!!!!!!!! (2 Timothy 1:12)